Thursday, June 16, 2011

Part one

Music has been around for as long as there have been people. And I mean that almost literally. There are cave paintings of primitive people playing primitive musical instruments. The world’s oldest instrument found to date is over 35,000 years old. 
In its earliest form, music was used during ceremonies and on special occasions. Tribal or clan histories were set to music to make them easier for young (and old) minds to remember. Songs and chants were sung over sick people to appease evil spirits, to convince them to leave the body of the victim. Singing was a way of gaining the attention and, hopefully the favor, of the gods, such as before a hunt or a raid on another clan or tribe and, much like today, to attract or communicate with a potential mate or lover. The flute and the drum, the most widely used instruments used by primitive peoples, were often played together. Native Americans still play the ancient music taught to them by their ancestors and passed down through generations.
To this day music is played during special occasions. Weddings, funerals, parades, graduations, birthdays…people have balls and parties where music is played as background noise to create atmosphere, possibly as a conversation starter, and for dancing to. In modern times music is used for advertising, in movies, on television, and of course radio.  It’s hard to go one day without hearing some kind of music.
So how did music go from hairy people sitting around a fire singing to the gods to Gene Wilder singing about a world of pure imagination? How did it get to American Idol? How did it become a multi-billion dollar business spanning the globe that everyone pays for and is the nexus of numerous legal battles and new laws?



o   This blog is prepared by a paralegal student as a class project, without compensation. The content of this blog contains my opinion, and is offered for personal interest without warranty of any kind. Comments posted by others on this blog are the responsibility of the posters of those messages. The reader is solely responsible for verifying the content of this blog and any linked information. Content, sources, information, and links will most likely change over time. The content of this blog may not be construed as legal, medical, business, or personal advice.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting topic! I am sure that Gene Wilder never thought that the music business would be what it is today! Love the reference to "hairy" people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Come with me, and you'll be in a world of pure imagination...." Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of my favorites.

    I'm really disappointed in the commercialization of music and the sponsorships artists use to support their tours. It's turning music into NASCAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been kind of disappointed in the moral aspect of the modern age of music. Kids idolize these singers and rappers that make music about the most horrible things. When you call them on it their excuse is "well this is what sells but kids should look at me not my music." If making money meant compromising myself that much that I couldn't even express myself because it wouldn't sell then I would rather be broke!
    But that's a whole different blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love music, and there are some musicians who I feel I almost have a relationship with because their music is such a huge part of my daily life. I think the fact that music has been around for so long attests to it's importance in our society. From a neurological perspective, music can even affect how we think and feel. After all, Stravinsky was able to incite a bourgeoisie riot with nothing more than his piece The Rites of Spring. If that doesn't show the power of music in our collective culture, I don't know what does! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If music be the sound of love, play on, play on" Shakespeare. Great subject matter, one that affects us all on a daily basis as you have noted. I just hate you left us hanging at the end....will we be able to read more???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about writing more on the subject of music. Mostly looking at the actual cases themselves. I have another blog called the hillbilly housewife's guide to frugal living that you might find interesting Diane. I have one post up but im going to be posting another very soon.

    ReplyDelete